Friday, August 26, 2011

Ella's first day of 2nd grade!

This is an incredibly, super-duper, extra special
first day of school!

Ella started her first day of 2nd grade at a new school!
She will be attending Sayre Montessori School
this year!  It is a wonderful, private school that focuses
on a more individual, student driven learning approach.
Instead of tests, worksheets and lectures, you'll find Ella
and her 6 classmates working with manipulatives,
gardening, and exploring at their own pace and interest level.
Sounds amazing, doesn't it!

We did not arrive at our decision to have Ella try a new school lightly!
We have spent the last 2 years persuading and encouraging
Ella to go to school, like school, stay in school.
Waukee schools are excellent!  They are top-quality, wonderful
schools. Especially Shuler, where Claire goes to school.

Kids learn differently.  Bottom line.
Our job as parents is to help our child discover what kind
of learner she is and then find a place that can
help her be as successful as possible, while also enjoying
these early years!

Well, we have our first week under our belt and...
I think we found the perfect place for Ella!
There is no greater moment for a parent than to hear
your daughter say, "We have school tomorrow? Yea!
I love school!"

The 'classic' first day of school pose ~

My amazing, beautiful girl~

Proud daddy ~

Parenting is hard.  Sometimes I want to just find the
perfect "fit, solution, activity, philosophy"
that will make my children grow up happy and perfect.
Unfortunately, that is not going to happen.

Instead, I have to pray for strength and guidance,
stay close and communicate with my husband,
share with the parents who have come before me
and walk beside me, and then do what feels like
the next right thing to do. 

I have faith that God has given me these girls
to love and care for now, and that
their future is in his loving hands.