Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas!

We had such a great Christmas this year! I'm beginning to understand
why my parents loved Christmas so much when I was growing up.
There is nothing better than watching your children run downstairs,
laugh and scream at the cool stuff they find, and then beg to be the
first to hand out their gifts! What a blessing!

As usual, I probably went a bit overboard, but I can't help it!
I love buying gifts for people. I love finding that just right gift for
each member of my family. 

This year had several special moments, beside the general joy of gift-giving.
Here are a few of my favorite memories of Christmas 2012:

1. My girls didn't whine, pout or forget the true meaning of Christmas.
They were thankful for their gifts, but remembered why we celebrate.
They embraced Jesus' birthday, they thanked God and their family for 
everything they have, and they took time to enjoy each other between
shreds of paper and bows!

2. Each girl either made, or went out specifically to buy, a gift for
everyone in their family. They all put a lot of thought, and time,
into each gift.  They were each so excited to give their gifts
and were beaming with pride and love as we opened them.

3. We had the most wonderful Christmas Eve! We went to church,
enjoyed a beautiful service, then went to dinner with some good 
family friends.  We talked and laughed the night away.
It was so much fun and such a great way to kickoff the holiday!

4. We hosted Christmas dinner at our house with Grammy and Boppa.
For the first time in my life, I did not go to my mom's house for 
Christmas dinner.  For the first time in my life, my mom did not have
to make a big Christmas feast.  I did!

5. I made a real, holiday meal.  I'm talking ham, potatoes,
creamed corn, sweet potatoes, the works!  And, I can honestly say,
it was delicious!! Well, almost everything was delicious.  I tried baking
real bread for the first time, and it was a bit thick to say the least.
But, besides that, we had  wonderful feast and I was so happy
to bless my mom with the gift of relaxation!

6. We spent the evening with Grandpa and Grandma Johnson and 
Jamie and Kyle.  I can't remember the last time I got to see so 
much of my family all on Christmas day.  Very special!

7. Avery got her first American Girl doll and the older girls
were as happy for her as she was!  I was so proud of my big girls.
They were so happy for Aves as she opened her doll, and neither
one of them asked, "where's my big present".  They were
grateful for what they received and happy for Buggie.

8. I forgot what I had bought and wrapped for Dave and he ended
up opening 2 flexible light thingys.  You had to be there, but it
was funny!

9. I was reminded several times that I have the best life and the
best family and the most loving, caring God!

Our Christmas Eve tradition is to let the girls each open 1 present.
Of course, they've learned it's always pajamas!
Several years ago, we asked Santa to only fill our stockings and to
give our gifts to kids who need them.  The girls love getting all the
trinkets and fun stuff in their stockings!
They had so much fun together, giving each other homemade gifts.
Ella gave Aves one of her treasured hamsters.  So special!


Claire made one of her famous duct-tape purses for Aves!

It took quite a while to get through the piles of presents, especially
when we stopped to play!

Pure joy!

She was so excited! The exact Just Like Me doll she wanted!
She named her Clarice.  Dave and I are still getting used to the name!

Ella gave me a frog. How cool is that?!

They got another doll bunkbed.  It's almost as much fun
putting it together as it is playing with it!


Merry Christmas and many blessings to all of our
family and friends!