Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A day in the life of Avery

As I often say, things are always entertaining with Avery around.
Here is our conversation from this morning.


Mom: getting dressed and ready after showering for the day.
Avery: "I want to take a bath mom."
M: "Not today Aves. You took one last night and it's almost time to go."
A: "But I want a bath. I need a bath."
M: "Well, sorry, not today. Maybe tonight."
A: "I don't understand! You aren't making sense. I want a bath!"
Getting a bit more agitated at this point. Voice rising. Hands on hips.
M: "Avery, we don't have time for a bath right now. We are getting ready to leave."
A: Very angry now. Hands on hips, staring straight into my eyes, "You are making me so mad. You're not making sense. I want a bath."
Storms out of my bathroom.


2 minutes later: Avery walk back into my bathroom with only a diaper and undershirt on.
"I'm ready for my bath, mom." She says sweetly.
M: "I'm sorry Avery, but you're not taking a bath. Let's go get dressed."
A: Growls loudly at me and stomps into my closet. Picks up my stool and announces, "you are not being a good listener. I'm taking your stool until you can be a good girl!"
Takes my stool out of my bathroom, slams by bathroom door shut.
At this point, it's all I can do not to totally bust out laughing. I finish getting ready.


2 minutes later, door opens slightly, Avery leans in and says, "are you ready to listen to me? I want to take a bath."
M: "Well, I understand that Avery, but we are now leaving to run our errands."
A: Very loudly, "You are not being a good listener!" Slams door.


1 minute later a piece of paper with scribbles (I can only imagine what they said!) slides under my door. I pick it up and open the door.
A: "Are you ready for my bath now mom?" All sweetly.
M: No longer unable to laugh, I pick her up, swing her around, tickle her tummy and tell her I love her and would she like some M&M's (it works every time!)
She gets dressed and we move on, enjoying the rest of our day together.

God bless this amazing child!
Here is a picture of her, on the stool she took from me, during our "discussion".